Rahim Yar Khan district is located in Punjab. It was declared as a separate administration district in 1943. The district derives its name from its headquarter Rahim Yar Khan.
The previous name of this district was Naushehra which was built in 1875 by Fazal Elahi Halani on the ruins of the ancient Pul-Wadda during the Sumra rule in Indus Valley. Later Nawab Sadiq Khan-IV of Bahawalpur renamed it after his son Rahim Yar Khan.
Rahim Yar Khan is bounded on the north by Muzaffargarh district, on the east by Bahawalpur district, on the south by Jasilmir (India) and Ghotki district of Sindh province and on the west by Rajanpur district.
The total area of the district is 11,880 square kilometers. The district comprises four Tehsils namely Rahim Yar Khan, Sadiqabad, Liaquatpur and Khanpur. There are three municipal committees and five town committees in the district. Almost 60 percent of total area is covered by the desert of Cholistan. Historically one of the most important centre of ancient Indus Valley